Skip to main content

What Are We Chasing?

 I can't count the number of times I've chosen to chase the things I wanted and ignored the things God laid on my heart...we can take this blog for example. Founding Wife of Grace has been on my heart for a long time, but I waited. I tried to have all my ducks in a row. I tried to pursue other avenues instead of just going for it. And as a result I found myself unfulfilled and spinning my wheels. 

I want to pose the question: What are you chasing after? Are you chasing what YOU want for your life, or are you chasing after what God has put on your heart. The truth of the matter is that God's plan for your life will be fulfilled, the question is when. Will you be part of making the plan happen or will you be prolonging what He has in story because you're choosing to chase your own things. 

I always bring this back to a biblical standpoint. 

After Jacob stole Esau's blessing his mother, Rebecca, sent him off to her family. He was to go there and find Laban, his uncle, and take a wife. Along his travels, he met Laban's daughter Rachel & he was enamored with her beauty. He determined that he was going to marry her. He offered himself as a servant to Laban for 7 years in exchange for Rachel's hand in marriage. But, it wasn't customary for the younger daughter to get married first. So after the 7 years, Jacob went to sleep on his wedding night and woke up in bed with Laban's oldest daughter, Leah. Jacob was furious. He went straight to Laban and was frustrated for ending up with the wrong daughter. He proceeded to work 7 more years for Rachel's hand. 

Lets stop right here.

First and foremost, God intended for marriage to be one man and one woman for life. But Jacob went against the will of God and took it upon himself to have two wives because he didn't want Leah, he wanted Rachel. The plan of God will never be destroyed, but it can be delayed. What's more interesting to me, is that because Jacob was so focused on Rachel, he failed to see how God's plan was going to be fulfilled through him (Jacob later becomes known as Israel for this reason). God had a divine plan that involved giving us grace and a way out of our sin. If you do the research and trace back the linage of Jesus; Jesus was born of Leah's linage...not Rachel's. 

Doesn't it make you wonder what you've delayed that God has perfectly and divinely planned?

It sure made me curious. 

I have spent years going in circles on things that I knew God wanted me to weed out of my life, but I chose not to because I wanted what I wanted. I stayed in a relationship that I should have left. I took on too much even though it didn't line up with my values. And I failed to slow down when God called me to. If you hear that voice whispering to you to do something specific, don't choose to stay stagnant. Choose to ask God to reveal to you the direction you need to go in. 


Weigh in on the conversation: What do you feel God is calling you to do right now that you may not be walking in purpose for? 

Be sure to follow @wifeofgrace on IG and join the conversations happening over there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to Bed Mad

I'm giving you permission here: Go to bed mad. Its okay.  We've all heard the adage "Don't go to bed mad". And in most Christian circles that is fueled by Ephesians 4:26, "Be angry and do not sin. Do not let the sun go down on your anger" (CSB). For most people the idea is that if you go to bed angry you're just brushing it under the rug and forgetting about this issue at hand. And I get it. As humans we want to solve problems, and we want them solved quickly. But not everything is solvable.  Early on in our marriage, Justin and I would stay up all night long going in circles of arguments because we didn't want to go to bed angry. There were so many tired nights that we got nothing accomplished whatsoever because we were too tired to thoughtfully consider the other person's point of view.  Here's what I'm NOT saying:  I'm not saying that you need to brush your problems under the rug and just move on.  What I am saying is that ther...